Welcome to the New Writers Flash Fiction Competition 2024. Open to writers from around the world, we’re offering a top prize of £1,000, a second prize of £300 and a third prize of £200. The deadline is midnight (UK time) on Wednesday 31st January 2024 and £1.00 from each entry will be donated to First Story (see here for details of the charity’s work).
New Writers Flash Fiction Competition 2024 – At A Glance:
- Deadline: Midnight (UK time) on Wednesday 31st January 2024
- Entry Fee: £10 (one entry), £19 (two entries), £27 (three entries)
- Prizes: 1st Place: £1,000; 2nd Place: £300; 3rd Place: £200
- Head Judge: Stephanie Carty (Author and Clinical Psychologist)
- Publication: The three winning entries will be published on the NewWriters.org.uk website
- Word Limit: 300 words (excluding title and line spaces)
- Charity: £1 from each entry will be donated to First Story (England’s leading creative writing charity for young people)
- Please read the full Flash Fiction Competition Terms & Conditions before entering.
- Winners and authors who have made the shortlist will be notified by email no later than Friday 29th March 2024. The announcement of winners and shortlisted entries will also be made no later than this date.
*We want to make the competition accessible to as many writers as possible. We therefore have a limited number of free entries for low-income writers, available on a first-come, first-served basis (though no later than 15th January 2024). Please see the terms and conditions for details.
About our Head Judge – Stephanie Carty
Stephanie Carty is a writer and consultant clinical psychologist in the UK. Her short fiction is widely published and has been shortlisted or placed in competitions including the Bath Flash Fiction Award, the Bristol Short Story Prize and the Bridport Prize.
She has published a novella-in-flash Three Sisters of Stone (Winner, Saboteur award), a writers’ guide Inside Fictional Minds on applying psychology to characters, a short fiction collection The Peculiarities of Yearning and a psychological thriller novel Shattered.
If you would like to find out more about Stephanie’s books and writing courses, visit her website: stephaniecarty.com. If you’d like to purchase* one of her books, click in the relevant image below.
*Please note that if you click through the book links on this page and make a purchase, NewWriters.org.uk will receive a small (very small!) payment, and at no cost to the purchaser. Thanks.